Categories

Sunday 20 November 2011

Thought of the day: Nothing

Now, I don't mean nothing as in literally nothing. I'm more talking about the idea of nothing. You see, ‘nothing’ is a rather strange concept – one which  I think the human mind will truly never be able to understand. Think of it this way, when we think of nothing, we see blackness. Perhaps that blackness stretches on and on and on but somewhere, perhaps only deep within our subconscious, we see the blackness as having a beginning and an end. It’s not nothing, it’s something.

In a way, I think this relates to our understanding of time. People say time is eternal, that it never had a beginning and it will never have an end. This seems fine written on paper but I doubt many of us can actually see time in this way - I mean, how can something not have had a beginning?! I guess that's just how the human mind is conditioned.

In saying this, the notion of nothingness is completely opposite to how we view our own lives and how we look at our own existence on earth. Think of it this way, despite the concrete evidence that our lives have a definite beginning and a definite end, I don’t think anyone can truly understand a world without them in it. What happens to the soul within us when we die? Where was it before we were born? Did the world truly exist before we came into being? Will it continue to exist without us when we die? 

Just something to think about. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment